Cold weather and giant snowflakes falling did not stop a small group of volunteers involved in providing youth initiatives within the area from arriving at the Barriere Fire Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 18.
They were there to meet with two members of the 911 Golf Tournament committee who were handing out $6,000 in funding for youth programs in the Lower North Thompson Valley.
911 Golf Committee reps, RCMP Cpl. Darin Underhill and Barriere Fire Chief Al Kirkwood, said they were very pleased to support this very diverse group of youth initiatives within the area.
“These initiatives will provide assistance to new and existing services and two scholastic bursaries,” said Underhill, and commended the programs that are already in place for youth.
“We would like to thank all sponsors and participants for their very gracious support this year. We are proud to give back to our communities and help provide positive and healthy options for our youth in the valley,” said Underhill.
He also commented, “Sometimes you hear people say “there is nothing for kids to do here in Barriere”, but I have to say for a small community there are numerous opportunities here for youth.”
This sentiment was quickly echoed by four students from Barriere Elementary School who were in attendance at the grant presentation. “There is lots to do here in Barriere,” said the kids, “We have lots to do.”
Kirkwood said plans are already underway for the 2014 911 Golf Tournament at Chinook Cove Golf, and advises those who want to participate to register early when registration opens later this year, as the tournament fills up quickly, and each year there are always some who are turned away.
911 Golf Tournament funding cheques were presented to:
• Barriere Youth Soccer Association
• North Thompson Fish and Game Club
• Barriere Curling Club/Barriere Recreation Society
• Upper Thompson Army Cadets
• Barriere and Area Literacy Outreach (youth initiatives)
• North Thompson Fall Fair/Rural Living Expo and Trade Show (Youth Bike Challenge)
• Barriere Elementary – Ms. Williams student’s for the Community Garden
• Farm Kids Scholarship Fund
• Barriere Secondary School-Athletics
• Barriere Bike Track
• Bonnie Cruzelle-Myram Memorial Scholarship (for a Barriere Secondary School student )