2014 was another successful year for the Barriere 911 Emergency Services Golf Tournament, with amazing support from the sponsors and players.
2014 was the third year of the rebirth of our great little tournament.
The first year (2012) saw a great deal of enthusiasm from the entire community with the long loved golf tournament back in action.
We have worked hard over the past three years to provide more opportunity to the youth in our valley. Our goal with the Barriere 911 Emergency Services Golf Tournament has been to support a diverse group of new or existing youth organizations, programs or initiatives.
Over the past three years we have been able to put $6,000 each year back into the valley for a total of $ 18,000 since 2012.
The program has supported the following groups on a one time basis or multiple times, at various levels, over the last three years:
• Celebration of Rural Living Expo and Trade Show – bike challenge
• North Thompson Fish and Game Club
• North Thompson Recreation Society – Cross Country Skiing/Snow shoe Program
• Barriere Curling Club
• North Thompson Volunteer & Information Centre – After School Program
• Barriere Secondary School Basketball
• Barriere Secondary School Grade 8 Math Program
• Yellowhead Community Services – Friday Night Youth Program
• Barriere Elementary School Community Garden Program
• Farm Kids Scholarship Fund
• Bonnie Cruzelle-Myram Memorial Scholarship
• Barriere Youth Soccer Association
• Barriere and Area Literacy Outreach
• Barriere Bike Park
• Upper Thompson Army Cadets
• Barriere Elementary School Meal Program
I am truly proud of the members of the committee that work so hard each year to put this event together and make it the success it is.
The amount we are able to give back each year is so impressive when you compare it to other events, especially when you consider it is a 9 hole golf tournament in a community of under 2,000 residents.
We love to see the large variety of programs, and hope we can continue to play a small part in the success of each of them as they are also supported by their own incredible and hard working volunteers.
We live in a great community where most everyone is willing to pitch in and make it a better place to live.
Thank you again to all the great people that make this event happen, and those that support us each year!