Call for proposal ideas by the District of Barriere for community grant

Call for proposal ideas by the District of Barriere for community grant

A new funding opportunity for community recreation projects may be available to the District of Barriere. The Province of British Columbia will provide $30 million in funding to communities to give B.C. families greater access to recreational infrastructure so they can enjoy the benefits of increased physical activity and community involvement.

The program aims to invest in those capital projects that make communities healthier, more active places in which to live.

The Local Government Infrastructure and Finance Branch will be partnering with the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development’s Sports Branch, and the Ministry of Health – Chronic Disease/Injury Prevention and Built Environment Branch for their expertise and knowledge.

According to the Program Guidelines, found online at http://www.cscd.gov.bc.ca/lgd/infra/infrastructure_grants/community_recreation_program.htm, eligible applicants are municipalities and regional districts.

The District has confirmed that community volunteer organizations who provide community recreation opportunities may be able to partner with the District on an application.

However, only one application may be submitted per municipality and the deadline is December 28, 2011.

If you think your organization may have an eligible project that meets the program guidelines, please contact Colleen Hannigan, Chief Administrative Officer, at the District of Barriere either by phone (250-672-9751) or email channigan@districtofbarriere.com by Nov. 10th.

The funding is for up to 80 per cent of the total project costs, therefore the organization, or the District, will be responsible for the remainder 20 per cent.

Council will decide which project will be chosen for the final application.