Submitted by North Thompson Museum
Barriere Flying Club was formed in 1948. It was started by Harry Mayson and Ken Petersen. Bob Andrews was president and other members were Dave Sorley and T.D. Mitchell. They purchased a two-place Cessna 120 aircraft. In the spring of 1949 they had 14 students and were instructed by Peter Cornwallis. It was closed in 1985 as there was too much residential houses being built and it was to close to the school.
Fadear Park was obtained by the North Thompson Recreation Society from Department of Lands & Forest with an original 10 year lease in 1988. It is 23 ½ acres. In 2008 work started on Fadear Park, trees were also planted. Fairly well centered in Barriere, Fadear Park stretches along both sides of Airfield Road, north from the Barriere Elementary School on both sides and south to the south end of the school on the east side. It includes ball fields, a playground, water park, exercise park, and future skateboard park. The unfinished part along Station Road is Crown/Simpcw First Nation land. The Bandshell was built in 2011.
The Barriere Elementary School was opened in 1964.
The Barriere Senior centre was built in 1994
The first recorded burial in the Barriere Cemetery is 1965
Towing company is where the old Highway’s yard was
Barriere House opened in 1985, the name was changed a few years ago to Terry’s Place.
The Wagon Wheel Trailer Court was started in 1985 by Wally Welz.
Like us on Facebook