Barriere and District Chamber of Commerce will be holdings its annual general meeting and election of officers on Tuesday, Dec. 6, at 7 p.m., at the Chamber office in Barriere.
The current executive are encouraging their membership to, “Step up and take an active role in representing the local business community. The Chamber exists to encourage local economic stability and growth, to promote the community and quality of life, as well as represent the business community while providing the means for dialogue among businesses and with the public. By taking a role in the Chamber and becoming an active member of the Chamber Board, you can make a difference in our community”.
Nominations are now being accepted for the forthcoming elections, and members are encouraged to declare their interest in becoming a voice for the business community.
The following is a list of achievements recently reported by the Chamber:
• Grown Chamber membership from 25 to 70+ in the last six years
• Sponsored and funded two Business Trade Shows
• Co-sponsored with Community Futures on the 2005-2010 North Thompson Valley Economic Development Strategic Plan and the 2009 Community Profile for the lower North Thompson Valley
• Chamber volunteers sponsored the Pitch-in Week clean-up and enhancement of Barriere Town Road and the Yellowhead Highway right-of-ways
• Built and maintained the business flower planter boxes for eight years
• Sponsored Barriere Employment Services since 1996
• Funded an annual Bursary for the NT Fall Fair Pageant Candidates, and funds the decoration of the Barriere downtown for the NT Fall Fair and Rodeo week
• Provided the majority of funding for the directional mural to the NT Museum
• Previously co-sponsorship of Citizen of the Year, and then sponsorship of Business of the Year
• Chamber members work with the BC COC on area issues for consideration from the Provincial and Federal levels – also involved in BC COC educational seminars
• Sponsored the “Shop in Barriere” Christmas Campaign
• Your Chamber has been the lead for Tourism Development in the region for the last six years by developing numerous marketing mediums putting Barriere on the map and:
– Operating the year-round Tourism BC Visitor Information Booth
– Organizing the Lower North Thompson Tourism Society
– Representation at Tourism Trade Shows in B.C. and Alberta
– Construction of TNRD Area 0 and P map kiosks at Sun Peaks, Little Fort and KIB
– Three volumes of the “Tour the NT Valley” travel guide
– Joint effort with Backroad Mapbooks for the NTV Trail Guide
– Regional fold-up NTV Fishing Guide/map
– All three guides are distributed through all BC Visitor Centres and other businesses in the region, Alberta and Washington