The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 242 in Barriere was given this number as it was the 242nd branch to be installed in British Columbia.
The first meetings of the original 46 members were held in the Native Sons Hall in Louis Creek with guidance from Kamloops Branch 52.
The Barriere Branch received their charter on February 3, 1953.
The property where the Legion building stands was purchased from Barriere resident Harry Yokum, and a partially finished building was converted into the Legion premises. Lumber was donated by the Fadear Creek Mill and Bert Cleavely’s mill.
The community and Legion members put in many volunteer hours in the building and creating of their meeting place. They hosted numerous dinners, and even held a men’s fashion show to fundraise until the meeting place was finished. The Kamloops Branch donated chairs and the first colours.
The new Barriere Legion building officially opened in 1955, and in that same year they were joined by the formation of the Ladies Auxiliary. Branch #242 continued to remain active in the community and the Lower North Thompson Valley while attending to the well being of its veterans.
At the southeast corner of the Legion is a war memorial. It has granite insets on each side, and another grey granite inset on the front on which six black plaques were mounted in 2013 in remembrance of wars in which Canadians have fought and died. Above the plaques are inscribed the words “LEST WE FORGET”.