If you are looking at learning something new just for fun, or wanting to improve your skills for work or to land that job, then check out the courses available at the Barriere Thompson Rivers University (TRU) office in Barriere. This year there are a number of different courses being made available for students of all ages, from painting, to computers, to traffic control.
Some of the TRU continuing studies courses are as follows:
Exercise classes with Barb Gordon; Free Weights on the Ball starts Feb. 21, and Gentle Yoga starts March 2. Feel better, loose inches, become more flexible. Gordon says she will help participants attain all of those and more. During the classes the instructor will demonstrate the proper techniques in each exercise and ensure everyone has a good workout.
Babysitter Training with Debbie Johnston, starts April 9. Johnson says she loves kids and is happy to be teaching 12 – 15-year-olds this Safety Council course. This is a certificate course that may lead to jobs, and it is something that the successful student can add to their resume.
TRU also offers the following certificate courses that are recognized by industry:
• Occupational First Aid, Level 1, offered monthly, certificates are valid for three years.
• Transportation Endorsement – students must have a valid Occupational First Aid, Level 1 certificate to take this course. Certificates are valid for three years.
• Occupational First Aid, Level 3. This course is scheduled for June 6–17. However, students must be registered by May 2, because they are required to study the Student Manual prior to the start of class. Certificates are valid for three years.
• Red Cross course are also available.
• FoodSafe, Level 1 with Kim Fennell, starts March 5. This is another certificate course that is a good to have for job hunters. Fennell is an excellent instructor that guides participants through this sanitation program. This is a necessary certificate for those working in the food industry. Students must bring their BC Care Card in order to complete the examination form. Certification is from Interior Health.
• Traffic Control Certification, starts May 10. This is a two day comprehensive traffic control program and successful students will receive a certificate which is valid for three years. Students must have CSA approved steel-toed boots and a passport photo (1 1/16” x 2 1/8”) or a digital photo 2”x2” on good quality photo paper. The instructor is Vicki Skieje, a well-known, well-respected instructor in the industry, who has many years experience instructing as well as on-the-job.
• There are also on-line course available, including: Ground Disturbance, Confined Space Pre-Entry, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, WHMIS, and the Pleasure Craft Operator Program.
For a full list of available courses, contact the Barriere TRU Office at 250-672-9875, and speak to Barriere’s community coordinator, Susan Ross.