The 2022 Annual North Thompson Fall Fair took place at the fairgrounds in Barriere on the Labour Day Weekend of Sept. 3 – 5, after a two year shutdown due to COVID. From its first humble beginnings back in the 1950s, the annual Fall Fair has now become a major economic driver within the North Thompson Valley. Most importantly though, it provides fair visitors with an opportunity to see and learn about the rural lifestyle of the people and communities who reside in the valley. For 73 years this annual event has showcased rural living, especially in the Exhibit Hall where fair visitors have the opportunity to peruse hundreds of items entered in over a dozen sections that include Fruits and Vegetables, Field Crops, Farm and Home Produce, Best Bale of Hay, Flowers, Sewing, Embroidery, Quilting, Knitting, Crochet, Home Canning and Preserves, Baking, Hobbies, Rural Living, Fine Arts, Photography, Boys and Girls Schoolwork, and even Best Scarecrow.
Here are the North Thompson Fall Fair Hall Trophy Winners for 2022.
*L. Larson Family Award – Hall Grand Aggregate For Top Exhibitor for highest combined points in all sections of hall exhibits. Won by Heather Weibe.
* Margaret Edgar Memorial Award for Best Fiber Arts Article in Crochet, Knitting, Spinning, Weaving and Felting. Sponsored by Kamloops Arts and Crafts Club. Won by Carolyn Morrow.
* Brian and Susan Bondar Aggregate Trophy – sponsored by Brian and Susan Bondar for highest combined points in the Fruits and Vegetables Section. Won by June Puhallo.
* RHU Castle Cup for Best Of Show in Wine – sponsored by BA Brewmaster Ltd. Won by Monica Ireland.
* Best Bale Of Hay – sponsored by Piva Hay Ranches Ltd. Won by Sidsal Gunderson.
* M.W. Dewey Fine Arts Trophy – Sponsored by M.W. Dewey Fine Arts Group for highest aggregate in hand knitting, crocheting, rug hooking, weaving and felting. Won by Doris Tweten.
* Inge Rainer Memorial Home Canning Aggregate Trophy – sponsored by the Rainer Family. Won by Colleen Christensen.
*Leone Woodward Memorial Aggregate Trophy for flowers. Won by Heather Wiebe.
* Ron Smith Memorial Award For Best In Show Woodworking (Judges’ Choice) – sponsored by the Ron Smith Family. Won by David Swanson.
* Hank Searle Memorial Trophy for High Aggregate in Boys and Girls Schoolwork – sponsored by Kelly Searle. For highest points in a all divisions of the Boys and Girls Schoolwork Section. Won by Kate-Ann Ekins.
* Brian and Susan Bondar Aggregate Trophy — Boys And Girls Vegetables Section. Sponsored by Brian and Susan Bondar for highest combined points in the Vegetable Section. Won by Kate-Ann Ekins.
* People’s Choice Flower Arrangement – Won by Jeanne Pruvot
* North Thompson Fall Fair Best Scarecrow (judges’ choice). Won by Colleen Christensen.
* Best Jam or Jelly Award – sponsored by BERNARDIN. Won by Doreen Desrosier.
* Highest Aggregate Points – Baking – All Divisions – sponsored by Rogers Foods Flour & Cereal. Won by Heather Weibe.
* Judges Selection – Baking – Best Bread – sponsored by Rogers Foods Flour & Cereal. Won by Judith Klontz.
* Judges Selection Best Youth Entry – Rogers Foods Flour & Cereal. Won by Eric Fraser.
* Country Fair Baking Contest – sponsored by Robin Hood Flour. Best Family Favourite Recipe. Won by Helen Fraser.
* Country Fair Baking Contest – sponsored by Robin Hood Flour. Best Lunchbox Snack Recipe. Won by Helen Fraser.
* Country Fair Baking Contest – sponsored by Crisco – Family Favourite Recipe. Won by Helen Fraser.
* Highest Aggregate Points / Home Canning / Specialty items – sponsored by Independent Grocer, Jason Cain. Won by Colleen Christensen.
* Miss Kitty Memorial Decorated Wheelbarrow – sponsored by Bee’s Blossoms – Won by Cherie Jardine.