This year’s North Thompson Fall Fair and Rodeo is offering $350 in prize money for the Best Decorated Round Bale in the North Thompson Valley competition. There is no fee to enter; with the lucky first place winner receiving $250, and the second place winner $100. Thompson Nicola Regional District director for Area ‘O’, Bonnie CruzelleMyram donated $250 towards the prize money on behalf of the TNRD and the other $100 is from the NTFFRA.
“We think this is a great way to help us advertise our 63rd annual Fall Fair and Rodeo,” says contest organizer and NTFFRA director Pam Simpson, “We want people to have some fun with this! Use your imagination, be creative, and join in the spirit of this great annual event in our valley.”
Simpson says that entries may be made as individuals or groups of individuals living in the North Thompson Valley. The decorating theme on the round bales must be based on the 2012 Fall Fair theme which is ‘Bulls, Boots & Broncs’, however the bale can also be decorated in a “fair” related theme.
The decorated bale must face a public road, and be on display by Aug. 8, 2012. A photograph must be taken of your entry and submitted for judging by that date. Late entries will not be accepted. Each entry must clearly include the words ‘North Thompson Fall Fair & Rodeo’ and the dates ‘Sept. 1, 2, and 3, 2012’.
Simpson says there is already a good number of people thinking of ideas for decorating a round bale, and some of them are quite unique.
“We think this will be a fun competition for the participants, and a great way for the NTFFRA to get the word out to the traveling public about our event,” said Simpson, “We encourage anyone who has a round bale to participate and join in the excitement of our 63rd annual event.”
RULES TO ENTER:
1. Individual/Group must enter by August 8, 2012 . Late entries will not be accepted. There is no entry fee. All entries must submit a photograph and describe the location of the hay bale. Each entry must clearly include the words “North Thompson Fall Fair & Rodeo” and the dates “September 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 2012”. It is your responsibility to make sure that your entry form has been received. The display must be in place by August 8th, and the entry form with photo received by that date.
2. Entries must contain at least one large round hay, straw or silage bale. Extra bales, props and paint can be used.
3. Bales must be in good taste – no body parts sticking out of the bale or suggestive decorations
4. No Commercial or political party signs are allowed
5. Display must face a public road
6. Bales are expected to be well enough constructed to stay in place until after the fair
7. Entries will be judged on creativity, artistic details, work and effort involved, theme, originality, visibility (making the best use of the space available), and the sign with fair dates.
8. Photos will be on display during the fair, with a list of bale display locations for those wishing to view the displays.
9. Winners will be announced and prize money awarded at the downtown fall fair office, date and time yet to be announced.
To send in your entries: Submit Your Name, Display Location (physical address), mailing address, contact phone number, and at least one photograph to: NTFFR, Box 873, Barriere, B.C., V0E 1E0. You can also email your entry with all of the above information to: news@star/journal.net by the deadline of Aug. 8, 2012.
For more information you can email the above, or call Pam Simpson at 250-672- 1087.