Submitted by David J. McWatters
North Thompson Museum
The first school in Barriere was a vertical cedar pole structure built in 1910 by Harry Tunbridge. The Genier, Borthwick, Tunbridge and Greig children made up the class. A basket social was held at the school, raising $150 to finish the building. The government supplied the desks.
The school was situated across from the present day high school, and was used until the fall of 1920, when a fire ignited by the stove pipe burned it to the ground.
Ruth Huchinson was the first teacher; she was still in high school at the time. She was followed by a succession of teachers, reaching from only one to three terms. This constant change in teachers made it difficult for the children to receive a consistent level of education.
Although the salary was raised to $75 a month, it did not fix the problem.
Excerpt from page 83 of “Exploring Our Roots”.