While over half of all flood-related drownings occur when a
vehicle is driven into hazardous flood water, the next highest percentage
of flood-related deaths is due to walking into or near flood waters.
* Never underestimate the force and power of water.
* A mere six inches of fast-moving flood water can knock over an adult.
* Know where children and pets are at all times.
* Stay away from dikes and flood control devices – there is a high
potential to be carried away by swift currents.
* Flooded rivers and streams are unpredictable and city streets can
become rivers in seconds.
* High water can conceal a variety of submerged dangers – a broken water
line can cause sink holes in open ground or under paved areas.
* Downed power lines present danger – even touching a tree limb when
another part of the tree is in contact with a downed line or the
saturated ground around the line could result in shock, injury or
* Flooding is a natural disaster – not entertainment – stay away from
For more information and to stay up to date on all alerts and public
safety notices visit: www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca