Barriere domestic assault results in police standoff

Subdivision cordoned off for 29 hours during police standoff with Barriere resident

On February 18, 2012, at approximately 11:30 pm, members of the Barriere RCMP received a report of a domestic assault between a common law couple at a residence located within the District of Barriere.

Upon their arrival in the area, a woman was located at a neighbour’s residence with minor injuries and was removed from the area by police to ensure her safety. Two Barriere RCMP members then went to the woman’s residence in an attempt to locate the male suspect and have him exit the residence. Members entered the home and conducted a search for the male and located him in the garage area. The members observed the male with a bolt action rifle in his hands and the male refused to comply with police instructions to drop the weapon. Concerned for their safety and that of the male suspect, the RCMP members repositioned outside the residence, established a security perimeter and requested the assistance of additional police officers from the surrounding area and from the South-East District Emergency Response Team.

A further perimeter was set up and residents of the immediate area were evacuated for their safety. Many other residents outside the immediate area were requested to stay inside their homes. Members of the Southeast District Emergency Response Team and of the Lower Mainland Emergancy Response Team maintained security for public safety while providing assistance to the Southeast District Negotiation Team. The Southeast District Negotiation Team continued discussions with the male overnight and after over 29 hours the male subject exited the garage and was taken into custody without incident.

Members located a loaded .270 high powered hunting rifle in the residence along with a .22 caliber rifle and two bows and arrows. The 43-year-old man, who was allegedly in breach of release conditions preventing him from being in the residence, is currently in custody at the Barriere RCMP Detachment. Police are continuing their investigation. There were no children involved in the incident.  The man’s name is not being released to protect the identify of the woman.