Barriere family airlifted to Vancouver due to carbon monoxide exposure have now returned home

A family of five from Barriere was transported to Vancouver for medical treatment after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected in their house. Ashley Wohlgemuth, fire chief with the Barriere Fire Department, said a call was received at roughly 7:30 a.m. on Thursday Dec. 6, and when the fire department arrived the family had already made it out of the house and into the ambulance.

“The levels of carbon monoxide were quite high inside the house,” said Wohlgemuth, and because of that the family was airlifted down to Vancouver to get further treatment.

“Vancouver has something called a hyperbaric chamber, so there they can do therapy for decompression sickness, and with carbon monoxide poisoning quite often they’ll have to do that; if the levels are quite high, they’ll have to use the hyperbaric chambers to make sure their oxygen levels are all up to par,” said Wohlgemuth.

Those exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide will feel drowsy, but generally will not realize the gas is even in the air.

“You just get really tired from it,” said Wohlgemuth.

She noted that Rob and Rainy Wittner and their three children were in stable condition when they left Barriere.

Medical personel in Vancouver praised the fast work of first responders saying, “It was all like clockwork.”

One medical professional working with the hyperbaric chamber stated, “This is the fastest most coordinated effort I have seen in a carbon monoxide poisoning effort, from Barriere and all down the line.”

He also noted that treatment in the hyperbaric chamber involved all five of the Wittners inside for two-and-ahalf hours, then a 30 minute break, and then back in again for another two-and-a-half hours. A hyperbaric chamber is pressurized in such a way that massive amounts of oxygen go through your system and replace the carbon monoxide in your body.

The family were able to return to their home in Barriere on Friday.

“Luckily there was a working carbon monoxide detector in the house,” she Wohlgemuth, and this case is a good reminder for others to make sure they have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

“This time of year it’s not uncommon for these kinds of things to happen with people using more heating sources.” Wohlgemuth added the cause of the carbon monoxide leak was unknown at the time, but an investigation was being done.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

New year, new decade, old habits?

Five things you should stop doing in 2020

North Thompson Fall Fair and Rodeo Ambassadors report in

Hello! Haille Johnson and Jonathan Fennell here, your North Thompson Fall Fair… Continue reading

Clearwater Winter Fest offers range of activities from Jan. 17 to 26

Clearwater’s Winter Fest is set to begin and will offer a range… Continue reading

Hockey lives in Clearwater

By K.A. Pendergast Modern day Hockey began reportedly in the 1500’s although… Continue reading

VIDEO: Soldiers trade rifles for snow shovels to help dig out St. John’s

A state of emergency is set to extend into a fifth day

Warm ‘blob’ could be behind mass starvation of North Pacific seabirds: study

Unprecedented death toll raises red flag for North American marine ecosystems

ICBC to bring in ranking system for collision, glass repair shops

Change comes after the much-maligned auto insurer has faced criticism for sky-high premiums

‘It was just so fast’: B.C. teen recalls 150-metre fall down Oregon mountain

Surrey’s Gurbaz Singh broke his leg on Mount Hood on Dec. 30

Man accused in Kamloops murder claims woman died during rough sex

A Fraser Valley man stands trial for first-degree murder in connection with the 2016 death of a woman

B.C. woman crowned the fastest female marathon runner in Canadian history

Malindi Elmore ran an incredible 2:24:50 at the Houston Marathon

Alberta bulldog breeder ordered to refund B.C. buyer over puppy’s behaviour

Tribunal ruled a verbal agreement to send a new dog superseded the written contract

Man dies in backcountry near Nelson’s Whitewater Ski Resort

The victim was found unresponsive in a tree well Friday

Most Read