The following facts provide a snapshot of British Columbia’s education system, which has 1,578 public schools and 350 independent schools:
* More than half a million students will head back to public school this September.
* Students are completing high school at a rate almost 10 per cent higher than they were in 2001.
* Class sizes remain low and stable. Only two per cent of classes have more than 30 students.
* This coming school year (2016-17), total funding to school districts will reach $5.10 billion – up 32 per cent since 2000-01.
* The average per-pupil funding is now an estimated $8,963, an increase of 42 per cent since 2000-01.
* Last school year, total funding for all students (public and independent) with special needs was approximately $920 million.
* This year, school districts will receive $52 million through CommunityLINK, which helps them fund programs to support vulnerable children and youth.