Home completely destroyed by fire

Barriere home complete destroyed by fire on March 7, 2012

An early morning fire on Wednesday

An early morning fire on Wednesday

On Mar. 7, at approximately 2:36 a.m., the Barriere Volunteer Fire Department were called to a residential structure fire on Spruce Crescent. On arrival they were able to determine  that the lone female occupant of the residence had been able to get out of the building without injury and call 911.  Emergency services personnel, including Barriere RCMP and B.C. Ambulance, were on scene within 10 to 15 minutes of the call-out, but the residence was already fully engulfed.

Firefighters quickly and aggressively attacked the fire to keep it contained to the one home, as other residences and outbuildings were in close proximity.  Fortunately the fire department was successful in their efforts, with no damage sustained to other structures.

Cause of the fire was investigated by police and Fire Chief Al Kirkwood, with the conclusion being that the fire was not suspicious, and most likely started as a chimney fire.

Owners of the home, Jack and Lynette Woods, were away travelling at the time, but were immediately advised of the loss of their home. and are returning to the community.

The town has already rallied together, and the Church of St. Paul in Barriere will be holding a benefit breakfast by donation for the family on Thursday, Mar. 15, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the church.  The community is invited to attend and lend their support.