Barriere RCMP were called out and attended to a report of two mobile trailers on fire at 2329 Barriere Lakes Road on December 18, at 11:24 hours,
The Barriere Volunteer Fire Department was also called but were not able to attend as it was some ways out of their fire district. Forestry was called as well but declined to attend a structure fire unless the forest was involved.
RCMP Cpl. Mike Mucha reported, “It appears a chimney fire started and eventually spread throughout the trailers. The resident of the home was found deceased outside near the chimney. A ladder was located against the home, and it is believed the deceased tried to extinguish the fire and succumbed as a result of his actions.”
The deceased was identified as Robert Laskiewicz of Barriere.
One dog died in the blaze.
Mucha also noted that the SPCA was contacted and two miniature horses and dogs were taken into care from the property.
“I would like to thank a number of the locals who were able to assist in the care of the animals as the temperature,” said Mucha.