For millions of people worldwide Terry Fox is the face of cancer research. His Marathon of Hope inspired a country and The Terry Fox Run, now in its fourth decade, continues to motivate people here in Canada and around the world. To date, over $650 million has been raised in support of Terry’s cause. Of that $650 million, $113,885.09 has been contributed between 1989 – 2013 by the Barriere Terry Fox Run, and Barriere schools during the same time frame have raised $16,054.63.
Terry’s vision and courage have helped to change and reshape Canada in many ways. Importantly, it transformed cancer research here – establishing a new attitude and threshold regarding what kind of investment was necessary to support cancer research. The Terry Fox Foundation (“TFF”) continues to be a leading national investor in cancer research.
TFF remains true to Terry’s wishes today by directing all funds raised in his name to cancer research. For more than 33 years, funds have been provided to support cure-oriented, biomedical cancer research around the globe. In 2007, the Foundation created The Terry Fox Research Institute (“TFRI”), with a mandate to conduct translational research to significantly improve outcomes for patients.
In 2013, as the research arm of the Foundation, TFRI expanded its mandate to include oversight and management of the Terry Fox New Frontiers Program Project Grants, our flagship program in discovery research.
Today, TFRI manages the Foundation’s complete research investment portfolio.
In the previous fiscal year (ending March 31, 2013), TFF directed $27.7 million to its cancer research programs.
What sets the Terry Fox Foundation apart?
• Single mission: to fund innovative cancer research
– Independent – not associated with the Canadian Cancer Society or any other cancer fundraising National organization
– Thirty-three full time staff in 10 offices
– Over 9,000 Terry Fox Runs each year – all volunteer-led and organized
– No entry fee, No minimum pledge, Non-competitive
– No sponsorship
• 84 cents* of every dollar raised goes to cancer research
– To date, The Terry Fox Foundation has raised over $650 million for cancer research worldwide. (* based on most recent 3-year average.)
• Cancer research investment 2013 by the numbers:
– The Terry Fox Foundation is one of the largest non-governmental funders of cancer research in the country, funding many different types of cancers; current multi-year studies include lung, ovarian, colorectal, pancreatic, oral, liver, oncolytic viruses and many more.
– 1,152 is the number of cancer research projects funded to date by The Foundation.
– In 2013/14, TFF will invest an estimated $23.5 million in three key areas of cancer research.
– Discovery research – fundamental science, cure-oriented biomedical: $14.2 million
– Translational research – moving discoveries from the laboratory to the clinic more quickly to impact patients; “lab bench to bedside” approach: $8.2 million
– Training future leaders in cancer research: $1.1 million
“I don’t feel that this is unfair. That’s the thing about cancer. I’m not the only one, it happens all the time to people. I’m not special. This just intensifies what I did. It gives it more meaning. It’ll inspire more people. I just wish people would realize that anything’s possible if you try; dreams are made possible if you try.” – Terry Fox