To the editor;
November 19th began just like any other ordinary day, but it continued as one of the worst we had since we have lived in Barriere. There was no sign of a problem when my husband Arno left our garage/workshop to attend to another chore; and when he returned very shortly thereafter to the garage, flames and smoke were issuing from around the doors. In a very short time the building was fully engulfed; soon to consume the entire building.
My husband I wish to thank the Barriere Fire Department for their fast appearance on the scene and for their hard work. The prompt and efficient work of the firemen prevented the spread of the fire to our home and that of our closest neighbour. The firemen were kind and caring and spoke with us when we were very upset; they helped us feel calmer.
We also want to thank our friends and neighbours who were there for us immediately. They kept us out of the cold when we could not go into our house. They provided food and drink and also made our two little dogs comfortable. The following morning neighbours delivered coffee to our house because we had neither heat nor electricity to make anything for ourselves. Other neighbours brought us full course meals for the day; we even had a call from a friend in town who offered us the loan of a car.
We feel lucky to live in a small town where neighbors are helpful and generous. We thank everyone who gave us their help and support so generously in a time of trouble and upset in our lives.
Wally and Arno Kreutz