Numerous area lakes were reported packed with outdoor lovers of all ages, as they took advantage of the BC Free Family Fishing weekend for Canadians on June 17, 18 and 19, despite the fluctuating weather.
Communities throughout British Columbia hosted numerous events aimed at facilitating family unity, and introducing youngsters to the joys of fishing, conservation, and wilderness appreciation.
The North Thompson Fish and Game Club (NTFGC) invited enthusiasts to enjoy their second annual Father’s Day Fishing Derby on Sunday, June 19; and many people took them up on the invitation.
The Derby was again hosted by Barriere’s family owned and operated outdoor shop ‘Anglers Gift and Tackle’ situated on the Yellowhead Highway across from Barriere Industrial Park.
Fishing for the Derby was encouraged on any lake or stream in Region #3 for any game fish following the guidelines in the 2011/2012 Fishing Synopses.
Weigh-in at the tackle shop started at 4 p.m. and saw a total of 93 participants including children.
Barbecued hotdogs, hamburgers and refreshments were available due to the kind volunteer efforts of Deb Noble and family. Children and young adults all left with good memories and a chosen prize.
The grand prize was a Big Chief Smoker and wood chips from Anglers and was won via hidden weight by Cliff Cave with a fish weighing in at 1 lb, 7 oz. caught at Mann Lake.
Adult prize winners were:
• Heaviest Fish: Butch Fry (pictured right) – 8 lbs 4 oz – Saskum Lake; winning a Jump Start Air Compressor from Barriere Auto Parts.
• Second Heaviest Fish for a man: Doug Cooper – 3 lbs 5 oz – Genier Lake; $50 gift certificate to Anglers from Tri-Service.
• Second Heaviest Fish for a woman: Myrna Jensen – 1 lb 11 oz – Adams Lake; $50 gift certificate to Anglers from Tri -Service.
• Heaviest Combined Fish Weight one person: Harold Bitner – 8 lbs 12 oz – Forest Lake; $100 gift certificate from Gilbert Smith Forest Products.
• Heaviest Combined Family Fish Weight: Chris and Alex McDonald – 2 lb 4 oz – Leonie Lake; Propane tank from Kamloops Home Hardware, and $25 gift certificate from AG Foods.
• Heaviest Fish Weight Father and Son: Art and Gary Turner – 4 lb 5 oz – Leonie Lake; fly rod and reel from Anglers, a tackle box/tackle and 18 holes at Chinook Cove Golf.
• Funniest Fish: Bryce Welz – 6 oz – North Barriere Lake; $25 gift certificate from Sam’s Pizza and one movie or game rental from Gemini Video.
• Most Senior Male Angler: Jim Reist Allan – spin cast rod and reel from Kamloops Applied Industrial Technologies.
• Most Senior Female Angler: Ruth Black – spin cast rod and reel from Kamloops Applied Industrial Technologies.
Members of the NTFGC thanked all the volunteers and businesses (not necessarily mentioned above) for their Father’s Day Fishing Derby support.
Fishing information can be found in Barriere at Anglers Gift and Tackle, 4790 Yellowhead Highway, or call them at 250-672-5888.