Lawyer Domenic Basile leaves old city hall after appearing in court on behalf of accused Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Roberto Osuna in Toronto on Monday, June 18, 2018. The 23-year-old pitcher was charged with one count of assault by Toronto police early last month. He was placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball, in accordance with the league’s domestic violence policy. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Tijana Martin.

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna suspended for 75 games

23-year-old pitcher faces assault charge

NEW YORK — Major League Baseball has suspended Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna through Aug. 4 for violating the league’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy.

MLB announced the suspension — which is retroactive to May 8 and will cover a total of 75 games — in a release on Friday. The league says Osuna has agreed not to appeal the suspension and he will participate in a confidential and comprehensive evaluation and treatment program supervised by the joint policy board of MLB and the players’ association.

The 23-year-old Osuna is facing an assault charge and had been on paid administrative leave by MLB since being arrested last month.

The Blue Jays said in a statement that they “support the decision by the Commissioner’s Office.”

Osuna appeared in 15 games (15 1/3 innings) for Toronto this season, allowing 16 hits, five runs and one walk while earning nine saves. He has not pitched since May 6, two days before he was put on administrative leave.

He is 8-13 with a 2.87 earned-run average and 104 saves over four seasons with the Blue Jays.

READ MORE: Robert Osuna not expected to appear in court

“I don’t have much of a reaction other than you take what MLB does and trust that and live with that and let it go through its course,” Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said before Friday night’s road game against the Los Angeles Angels. “We knew something was coming down. Actually, it took a while. Hopefully it all gets worked out on both sides and everyone gets the help they need and everything works out fine.”

Osuna’s lawyer, Domenic Basile, said in court in Toronto Monday that Osuna intends to plead not guilty to the assault charge. Osuna’s case is scheduled to return to court July 9.

Gibbons was asked if knowing the length of the penalty helps the team.

“I guess that helps,” Gibbons said. “We’ve kind of moved past that anyway and made do with what we’ve had.”

Osuna will lose about $2.54 million of his $5.3 million salary.

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Just Posted

B.C. Legions in need of young members to continue aiding veterans into the future

Lest we forget what thousands of men and women did to fight for Canada’s freedoms – but without new membership, many Legion chapters face dwindling numbers

Two young B.C. cowboys win big at Canadian Finals in Red Deer, Alberta

Kash Sigouin of Barriere, and Carson Payton from Monte Creek have had… Continue reading

Little Fort Pickleball Clinic – a smashing success

On Saturday, Oct. 27, a Pickleball Clinic was held at the Little… Continue reading

MP McLeod demands government protect Canadians’ privacy

Kamloops Thompson-Cariboo MP says she was shocked to learn that Statistics Canada is asking banks across the country for financial transaction data and personal information on 500,000 Canadians without their knowledge

New mayor and council sworn in for District of Barriere

A new mayor and three new members to council for District of Barriere

VIDEO: Marvel Comics’ Stan Lee dies

Marvel co-creator was well-known for making cameo apperances in superhero movies

Shelter struggles: Landlord takes over rental unit whenever visiting B.C. town

Renter’s story highlights how hard it is to find accommodation in Revelstoke

Lack of public response threatens B.C. referendum credibility

Of the few who have voted, poll finds most rejected proportional representation

Tentative deal reached in NHL concussion lawsuit

More than 100 former players accused the league of failing to better prevent head trauma

Grim search for more fire victims; 31 dead across California

More than 8,000 firefighters battled wildfires that scorched at least 1,040 square kilometres

Politicians need to do better on social media, Trudeau says

Prime minister suggests at conference in Paris some are trying to use technology to polarize voters

Wally Buono exits CFL, stinging from painful playoff loss

B.C. Lions lost the Eastern semifinal to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Sunday, 48-8

Pot company hopes to replace jobs lost in mill closure in B.C. town

About 200 workers lost their jobs when the Tolko sawmill in Merritt shuttered in 2016

Funding announcement promises to drive business innovation in B.C.

Minister is scheduled to make the announcement at the Penticton campus of Okanagan College

Most Read