Boston Red Sox fire manager

Red Sox fire manager John Farrell after 2nd straight ALDS defeat

The Boston Red Sox fired manager John Farrell on Wednesday after the team’s second straight loss in the AL Division Series.

The Red Sox announced the move less than 48 hours after they were eliminated from the playoffs with a 5-4 loss to the Houston Astros. Farrell’s contract had been scheduled to run through the 2018 season.

Boston won back-to-back American League East titles for the first time in franchise history this season despite losing the bat of retired slugger David Ortiz. It also did it despite starting the season with $217 million pitcher David Price on the disabled list and watching as 2016 Cy Young Award winner Rick Porcello stumbled to an 11-17 record.

Farrell managed the team to its eighth World Series title in 2013, his first season. But he found himself under a harsh spotlight each of the last two seasons after exits in the division series of the post-season.

Farrell went 432-378 over five seasons with Boston. He managed Toronto for two seasons before that and went 154-170.

Farrell said after losing to the Astros that the team didn’t meet its goals but had some good young players continue to develop.

“We had a number of challenges thrown our way from individual injuries to performance,” he said. “But as a team they stuck together.”

The offence slumped after Ortiz retired, even though the team had baseball’s third-highest payroll. Several players also struggled with health issues, including second baseman Dustin Pedroia and pitcher Drew Pomeranz.

Farrell began his coaching career with Boston as a pitching coach from 2007-2010. He was part of the team’s 2007 World Series title.

___

More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball

The Associated Press

 

Just Posted

Nathan Matthew receives Owl Award from SD73

Owl Award of Excellence recognizes outstanding, systemwide contributions to education

Former fire chief gets seven months in prison for possession of child porn

The 63-year-old pleaded guilty during a brief hearing last year to one count

Rock slide closes Hwy. 1 south of Ashcroft until Friday afternoon

A rock slide Thursday afternoon near Spences Bridge closed the highway in both directions

Barriere Legion installs executive and officers for 2018

The Royal Canadian Legion Branch #242 in Barriere held their annual installation… Continue reading

Barriere Secondary athletics update for January 2018

Barriere Secondary Senior Boys Basketball Team are currently ranked seventh in the… Continue reading

Testing the Google Arts & Culture app

Going face to face with art

Back to work: U.S. government shutdown ends after Democrats relent

Short-term spending measure means both sides could see another shutdown stalemate in three weeks

Man lives despite malfunctioning defibrillator at B.C. arena

A middle-aged man went into cardiac arrest after at game at Pitt Meadows Arena last Wednesday.

Cause of Northern B.C. seaplane crash released

TSB releases report on seaplane crash during a water landing in 2016 near First Nations community

Vancouver police crack down on pop-up pot vendors

Officers raided merchants’ tables on Robson Square late Sunday

Bell Media, NFL take appeal over Super Bowl ad rules to top court

At issue is a ban on substituting American ads with Canadian ones during the game’s broadcast

Crown seeks 4.5 years jail for B.C. woman convicted of counselling tax evasion

Debbie Anderson the latest from group to face jail for teaching debunked ‘natural person’ theory

UPDATE: Brother of B.C. teen killed by stray bullet says the death left a void

Alfred Wong, 15, was gunned down in Vancouver while on his way home from dinner with his family

Movie filmed in Castlegar B.C. opens Friday

Hollow in the Land starring Dianna Agron will be playing in select cinemas.

Most Read