A unique partnership between US and Canadian avalanche safety organizations is issuing a challenge to skiers and snowboarders: Make a four-minute video that shows the proper preparation for riding beyond resort boundaries, and you and your film could become a role model for sidecountry riders.
“Show us what happens before you hit your favourite powder stash,” says Canadian Avalanche Centre Executive Director Gilles Valade. “Use your camera to tell the story about how you and your crew get ready to safely explore beyond the resort boundary and you’ve got a great chance to win some amazing prizes.”
The contest will run during the last three weeks of winter: March 1 – 21. The videos will be posted on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/groups/knowthesnow). The final winner will be determined by a combination of most views and an expert panel. Prizes include:
• A two-day trip for two at Monashee Powder Snowcats in the snowbelt of BC’s interior
• Two four-day Gold Passes to any resort in the United States
• Backcountry Access Float 22 airbag
The winning videos will be announced in late March.
“Our goal is to simplify what’s involved in avalanche terrain preparation,” adds Valade.
To keep the momentum going, the project will continue through next season with expert editing help from Sherpas Cinema. A final highlight reel will be created with the best video submissions and broadcast at ski events and major retailers starting in November, 2014.
Organizations involved in this project include:
• American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education // www.avtraining.org
• Canadian Avalanche Centre // www.avalanche.ca
• Colorado Avalanche Information Center //www.avalanche.state.co.us
• National Ski Areas Association // www.nsaa.org
• National Ski Patrol // www.nsp.org
• Northwest Avalanche Center //www.nwac.us
• Snowsports Industries of America //www.snowsports.org
• Utah Avalanche Center//www.utahavalanchecenter.org
For more details on the contest, go to knowthesnow.com.