Volunteer to be a part of the 2011 Summer Games

This summer will be an exciting one for Kamloops and area as athletes and coaches, officials, families and supporters attend the 2011 Western Canada Summer Games in Kamloops on August 5-14.

The Western Canada Summer Games is one of the largest events Kamloops will host this decade, and organizers say they are inviting people from the community and area to join in to create an exciting and well-run event.

The Games are looking for enthusiastic, dedicated, volunteers.

A total of 2,500 volunteers are needed, with 30 per cent being directly related to sport and the other 70 per cent filling many other roles, from food services, to security, to helping with festivals and ceremonies.

“The Games offers volunteer opportunities for everyone,” say organizers, “And we want to involve a group of volunteers that reflects the diversity of the athlete participants.  We are encouraging people from all walks of life, from all cultures, abilities and age groups, to make this a true community-building event.”

“We hope that you will get involved, and bring friends and family as well.”

Up to 2,500 athletes, coaches and managers will be coming to compete in 19 sports at 12 different venues in and around Kamloops. There will be Opening and Closing Ceremonies, Medal Ceremonies, nightly festivals, cultural events, receptions and celebrations. All of which will not be possible without the aid of up to 3,000 volunteers.

Register now to be a volunteer by going to the Games website at www.2011wcsg.ca.

Remember – The Games Begin With You.